Thursday, July 30, 2009

Day 11, My name is Edward Chimpupo

Today was our last day “on the clock” in Malawi. As usual, we filled up the minibus and high-tailed it out of town early. Our destination was the Salima HIV/AIDS support group, where we were going to run a free clinic for children and their caregivers. Salima is a popular setting off point for Lake Malawi adventures, so we hoped to have a bit of time to explore Africa’s third largest lake.

A few of our group (yours truly included) decided today would be an excellent time to start having stomach trouble. The road was thankfully paved, and thus was as non-bumpy as possible in Malawi. We arrived at high noon, and we were told that they had expected us early. When we hadn’t arrived, they told everyone to come back at 1:30. Hence, if we were going to see Lake Malawi, we were going to have to make quick work of the dental problems we encountered.

When the appointed time came, we leapt into action. Our only hang-up was that the majority of the kids needed ART (no-drill fillings), which are comparatively time-intensive. After we finished the few extractions we needed to perform, most of the group went to the ART room. Due to limited space and physical resources, the rest of us were left to wander around. I was finally able to get some good pictures of the environment we were working in. After I get home, I’ll include the link to the full set of pictures, but an awful connection in Malawi prevents showing all of them.


During this period, a boy walked over to me. I pointed to my chest and said “Kevin.” He stood tall, lifted his chin slightly, and said in perfect British-derived English “My name is Edward Chimpupo.” I pantomimed taking his picture, and he immediately assumed this pose.

We finished with enough time to head over to the lake for a few minutes of exploration. The lake is functionally an inland sea. It’s one of the most biologically rich lakes in the world, with over five hundred species of stunning tropical fish. Fishermen straddling dugout canoes came shoreward, displaying hulls full of wriggling cichlids. The lake itself is stunning. Enormous boulders thrust up from the coastline, which is lined with baobab trees and a sandy beach.

I was photographing Anina when she pointed behind me and said, “Are those cats?” I immediately responded “MONKEYS!” After consulting a source or two, I think they were a troupe of vervet monkeys. They wouldn’t let us approach. I was jealous of Charles, who got a picture of what I’m pretty sure was a hyrax. Like Steve Earle, I ain’t ever satisfied.

We finally arrived home around 8:30, making it a near twelve hour day. The kids were helped, the monkeys were seen, and the lake thoroughly documented with pictures. Tomorrow, we leave Lilongwe to fly back to Johannesburg, and we’ll begin a safari through Kruger National Park the day after. I’m not sure of my access to the ‘net while on Safari, but I’ll bring the laptop and keep writing. I’ll update the site as soon as I’m able.

2 comments:

  1. Have fun on safari! Don't get mauled or trampled by lions or elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pfffft. Lake Malawi ain't got nuthin on Citylake.
    Good work, though. Keep it up! You're more than halfway there.

    ReplyDelete