Thursday, August 6, 2009

Days 14-17, I'll have the kudu pot pie

I’ve decided to lump the safari together into one entry for the sake of clarity. We spent a few days traveling through Kruger National Park, sometimes in the minibus, sometimes in an open-air four wheel drive, and sometimes on foot. At one of the numerous lunch stops in the park, I was able to enjoy a pot pie filled with delicious kudu. I doubt I’ll get the chance to taste it again.

At various points, I had the opportunity to see the following animals in their natural habitats:

Impala

Common Duiker

Kudu

Waterbuck

Zebra

Elephant

Blue Wildebeest

Cheetah

Baboon

Vervet Monkey

Warthog

Ground Hornbill

Martial Eagle

Steenbok

Cape Buffalo

Nile Crocodile

Sideneck Turtle

Civet

Lion

African Wild Dog

White Rhinoceros

Hippopotamus

Large Spotted Ginnet

White Tailed Mongoose

Leopard

Multiple unidentified geckos and other lizards

Our early morning walking tour got me within a stones throw of a mother white rhinoceros and her calf. On multiple occasions, we could have reached out and touched elephants. In short, the entire process was a memorable and moving experience.

I’ll include one more entry on this blog after I get home with reflections and thoughts. Then, it’s back to dental school, prepping for board exams, and trying to make up for being an absent husband for the past three weeks.

Thanks to all who looked after my wife while I was gone. We are truly blessed to have such excellent friends and family.














1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the pics, Kev. Can't wait to have you home. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete